College of Professional Studies
Master of Sports Leadership
Make an impact—and advance your career—in the high-growth sports leadership field. Build new skills to move to the next level in any sports-focused company or organization.
This program is designed for mid-career athletic administrators and coaches, or anyone preparing for a career in the sports industry—whether you want to work with a professional or intercollegiate sports team, with a fitness club or wellness organization, or in marketing, communication, or sports management. You’ll also have the opportunity to examine the social and business issues that are critical to sports leadership.
- Learn from faculty with extensive experience in this field; every faculty member has either worked for a sports organization or still does.
- Specialize in concentrations such as professional or collegiate athletics, analytics, or esports.
- Enjoy flexibility—most of your coursework will be done online, with a one-week, in-person program (a “residency”) either in Charlotte (in winter) or Boston (in summer). With the residency, you’ll get an immersive look at sports leadership through sports venue visits and meetings with leaders and staff.
- Complete a “capstone” experiential learning opportunity, such as an internship or project, with a sports-focused employer. Charlotte faculty have many contacts in the industry, and will work with you to find or customize an opportunity based on your interests or goals.
- Identify your leadership styles and strengths and take steps to improve your leadership capacity
- Understand what it takes to build highly effective teams
- Gain approaches and techniques to effectively tackle ethical dilemmas
- Explore the legal issues around equipment use, facility management, and accommodation for special populations
- Learn how to leverage sports for greater social and economic good
- Examine the planning, scheduling, and financial issues associated with running a successful athletics program
- Discover how to use sports to foster diversity, prevent violence, and improve the health of local and global communities
The following sport management degree program has been accredited by the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA), located in Fort Collins, CO, USA:Master of Sports Leadership
Northeastern’s Master of Sports Leadership was recently inducted into the COSMA Hall of Fame as a Biz Connector for excelling in creating partnerships with professionals in sports.
Tuition and Aid
This is an estimate based on the tuition rates for the 2021–2022 academic year and does not include any fees or other expenses. Some courses and labs have tuition rates that may increase or decrease total tuition. Tuition and fees are subject to revision by the president and Board of Trustees at any time.
Find detailed information on tuitions and fees from Student Financial Services.
Finance Your Education
We offer a variety of financial aid resources, including scholarships.
Explore this program’s requirements and courses, all designed to meet today’s industry needs and must-have skills.
Northeastern’s signature experience-powered learning model has been at the heart of the university for more than a century. It combines world-class academics with professional practice, allowing you to acquire relevant, real-world skills you can immediately put into action in your current workplace. This makes a Northeastern education a dynamic, transformative experience, giving you countless opportunities to grow as a professional and person.
In Charlotte’s Master of Sports Leadership program, you’ll complete an experiential learning opportunity with a sports-focused employer. The opportunities are online or in-person, working for a company or organization, and addressing a particular challenge, project, or topic area. Our Charlotte faculty will work with you to find or tailor an opportunity to your goals.
Our admissions process operates on a rolling basis, however we do recommend following the application guidelines below to ensure you can begin during your desired start term.
|Domestic application complete (first half start: January 10, 2022)||December 20, 2021|
|Domestic application complete (second half start: February 22, 2022)||February 8, 2022|
|Domestic application complete (first half start: April 11, 2022)||March 28, 2022|
|Domestic application complete (second half start: May 23, 2022)||May 9, 2022|
|Domestic application complete (first half start: July 11, 2022)||June 27, 2022|
|Domestic application complete (second half start: August 8, 2022)||July 25, 2022|
|Domestic application complete (first half start: September 19, 2022)||September 6, 2022|
|Domestic application complete (second half start: October 31, 2022)||October 17, 2022|
How to Apply
This program is offered by the College of Professional Studies. Learn more about the admissions process and required materials.
Complete the form below and our team will connect with you to discuss your questions and options.