College of Professional Studies
Doctor of Law and Policy — Charlotte Residency
The Doctor of Law and Policy program (DLP) is designed for experienced professionals interested in the origins, development, implementation, and analysis of legal and public policy decisions in healthcare, government, and related institutions. Northeastern’s DLP program empowers leaders to advance their careers with a deeper understanding of public policy and succeed in an increasingly complex global environment.
Applications for the spring 2024 term in Charlotte are now open.
Full-Time and Part-Time
Northeastern’s Doctor of Law and Policy Program (DLP) empowers leaders working in government, for-profit, and nonprofit sectors to advance in their careers with a deeper understanding of public policy. Our DLP engages students in advanced coursework that develops legal reasoning, research, and policy analysis skills. By examining the intersection of three key themes—law, research, and policy—within their professional fields, the program prepares leaders to tackle practical challenges with a multidisciplinary approach.
Through the program, you will complete a doctoral thesis that examines a compelling policy change. Graduates establish themselves as experts on topics where they want to see change, help solve new and emerging issues, or explore an area they are passionate about.
Northeastern’s DLP programs offer the majority of the coursework online, although there are two different learning formats based on professional experience and one’s need for flexibility:
- Doctor of Law and Policy (includes quarterly residencies in Charlotte or Seattle)
- Doctor of Law and Policy–Executive Program (includes residencies every other month in Boston)
- Our flexible program format with residencies in Charlotte and Seattle allows you to earn your degree in 3-6 years. Professionals can alternatively complete their doctorate in as little as two years through our Executive DLP format with residencies in Boston.
- Advance your current career by learning the skills and knowledge needed to move into policy and management positions in government, nonprofit agencies, research organizations, consulting firms, and more.
- Earn your doctorate online, with in-person residencies. Designed for working professionals, the DLP program combines the flexibility of online learning with immersive residencies.
- Network with your accomplished classmates, who are fellow driven individuals in a wide range of fields.
- Past students have come from all over the country and worked for various employers such as Amazon, the FDA, the Department of Justice, Harvard University and other higher education institutions, the U.S. State Department, and more.
- Learn from faculty that are industry leaders. They are distinguished policymakers, foreign service officers, international consultants, international education consulting experts, and experts in development policy with considerable domestic and global experiences.
- Utilize law to be a better policy maker and change agent
- Develop new leadership and strategic thinking skills
- Interpret research and use it to further policy-related goals
- Be able to negotiate with stakeholders in courts, legislatures, and agencies in the corporate and non-profit environments
Professional pathways include:
- Chief Executive Officer
- Deputy State Commissioner
- Director of Human Resources
- Executive Director
- Financial Industry Consultant
- Policy Director
- Senior Engineer
- Senior Law Partner
- University President
- Hospital CEO/Chief of Nursing
- Director of State/Local Health Department
Tuition and Aid
This is an estimate based on the tuition rates for the 2023–2024 academic year and does not include any fees or other expenses. Some courses and labs have tuition rates that may increase or decrease total tuition. Tuition and fees are subject to revision by the president and Board of Trustees at any time.
Find detailed information on tuition and fees from Student Financial Services.
Finance Your Education
We offer a variety of financial aid resources, including scholarships.
Explore this program’s requirements and courses, all designed to meet today’s industry needs and must-have skills.
This program lets you continue to work in education while you focus on a problem of practice. Through the program’s experiential learning and site-specific research, you can make an immediate impact in your professional environment. The program explicitly integrates research and practice so that you develop the skills necessary to conceive, design, conduct, and produce original research and use it to solve real-world challenges.
Our admissions process operates on a rolling basis; however, we do recommend the application guidelines below to ensure you can begin during your desired start term:
How to Apply
This program is offered by the College of Professional Studies. Learn more about the admissions process and required materials